11/30/2013

Neobična priča sa kampa od jednog svetskog putnika - An unexpected change of plans

Talking about the experience I've had as a volunteer in China, and finding the right words to explain the personal importance of it is sort of impossible. Just as I had no clue what I was putting myself into before it, still I cannot comprehend what I have experienced, as it was such a change, and a strong punch from the world for which I am so grateful. This was my moment of realizing how to live, and what is life all about.

Volunteering is a wonderful way for putting yourself out there, and just doing what is right. For this to be my way of learning some of the most important life lessons, I'm more than lucky to be in the place of having this kind of experience.



Volunteering for the first time, being an English teacher in China, in front of 40 teenagers, and at my age of 20, without prior training, and above all that not being a native English speaker, was out of the question, and out of my mind. I had no clue what I was putting myself into. Not being ready, and being placed in such a strange context where I was expected to do something I have never done before was what taught me howto be flexible, and how to use all of my knowledge and skill to make it happened, and to do it right. Surrounded by incredible people from all over the world, all trying to do similar things, helping each other, doing their best, naturally drove me to giving myself as much as possible and making it all happened. After realizing the team spirit, next came the students. This was the scariest part in the first place, but again, unexpectedly it was the most incredible thing about the experience. Seeing them every day, all so excited and cheerful,with big smiles on their faces, being so patient and interested, made the teaching part seem like a breeze. Moreover since I wasn't so much older than them, we clicked and became friends, which only added to the success of the English language conversation practice. All the kids became very dear to me from the first day, and having them as friends is an honor for me, just as us volunteers are their first foreign friends too. Knowing that I did right, and brought happiness to these student's life’s is what taught me what the spirit of volunteering really is, and how one can do good unconditionally. This summer of 2013 was the turning point in my life. New interests showed up, new opportunities and new doors opened, and I'm not going to question it. I will do what feels right doing and this is I believe the only way I can truly do good, productive and influential.


Luka Pavelka, volunteered in ELCSanquingshan and ELC Jiangxi camps, 2013

Nema komentara: